Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Perfect Project

So I had this fantastical idea that I could incorporate a whole bunch of my current "loves" and sew my way through the last 100 years of fashion... In this day dream there were unicorns thoughts of one pattern per decade, 10 pieces in all, that would stretch my sewing skills both in technique and experience working with new fabrics - but also put some unique and hopefully classic pieces in my wardrobe.

The trouble was, in going through my wardrobe recently, I discovered that in a lot of ways I already have lot of unique and classic pieces, and while certainly there are areas I'd like to expand (shirts for example - shirts are good - and dresses), I didn't feel the need for a range of 10 pieces.

Separately it had occurred to me that 1) my oldest daughter is growing like a weed 2) we are running out of hand-me-downs 3) I really dread going to the mall and 4) my tastes run a little too expensive for our budget.

The mental equation went something like this:

The sewing equivalent of unicorns + I love sewing + I love vintage fashion + my kid needs clothes = an absurdly monumental task that both delights and frightens me.

That's right, not only am I going to sew my daughter her 8 year old wardrobe, I'm going to sew it through the last 100 years of fashion.  Vintage patterns, vintage fabrics, twists, turns, unicorns, and maybe I'll actually learn a thing or two along the way that helps me be braver.

As you can guess, my other "love"?  Yep, biting off more than I can chew. 

Tomorrow: The trouble with the 90's.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really good idea. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete