Monday, August 22, 2011

90's dress

I finished it a while back but neglected to take pictures until we went on vacation a few weeks ago.  Back into the swing of things with school starting, I thought I should show you the results.

Project 1 in the 8/100 Project was this one, Vogue 9479:

The white dotted Kaufman fabric I used was a bit sheer, so while the bodice was self-lined, I had to line the skirt also.  Fortunately I had enough fabric!

 It is, of course, still too big for her, but that didn't keep her from grabbing it every time it got a wash, often before I could iron it.

The invisible zipper was completely unnecessary.  I could have saved myself a ton of trouble trying to line up seams, but I learned a lot about handling an invisible zipper with a lining, and it does give a lovely clean finish.

The pattern itself was easy to follow.  The only trouble I ran into was finding a 16" white zipper - my local fabric store didn't sell any in that size - I went with a 14" instead and can't notice a difference. Being from the 90's it was fairly challenge-less, apart from my self-imposed invisible zipper, and in the end, not really distinguishable as being from that decade, but I think I'm ok with that. :)