Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sewing In Art

I've always found the way sewing (and other crafts) have been portrayed in media a fascinating thing.  Many other bloggers have looked at the changing face of sewing over the last century or so, and I've very briefly touched on it here, but I thought it might be fun to look at sewing even further back than that - through art.

So the first installment in the "Sewing In Art" series:


This is a book scan from the Tacuina Sanitatis, a 14th century book on health and well being.  The description reads "Linen Clothing".  

The fabric, if it's proportional looks to be a very narrow bolt - and look at the size of those shears!  Also, proportionally, the figures sitting and sewing seem to be smaller than the ones standing.  I wonder if this signifies status or importance.  Notice that the girl sitting with her back to us in the green dress is wearing her differently to the other women.  I wonder if she is younger, perhaps some kind of apprentice?

See lady standing in the white gown?  I wondered at first if she was a teacher, but I think she's the customer!  The fabric of her dress looks similar to the fabric on the table, and the stuff being worked on by the seated ladies.

Now if I can just figure out why this house of couture is perched on the edge of a cliff! ;)

So... what do you see in this picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment